Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Runner, I am not

Today I made it to the gym. Yes, I realize that everyday millions of people complete this feat, in fact some people do it more than once a week. Crazy! I know. Anyhoo, I clearly am not one of those people frequenting the gym on a regular basis. I'm more of a sporadic kind of girl. I figure the gym appreciates the surprise.
I had a goal today that I was going to start the Couch to 5K running program. I've started it many times but I've quit it just as many. I figured I'd give it another try. I was a bit apprehensive about running on the treadmill because I'm always afraid I'll fall off. Now with my knee messed up too I'm also afraid that I'll trip a little bit and then twist my knee causing it to dislocate and then simultaneously causing me to fly off the treadmill. I can imagine how painful this would be physically and mentally. As a preventative action I decided to wear my brand new knee brace. It's not as cool as it sounds. It makes my knee feel weird and it's hot but that's less bothersome than dislocating my knee so I guess I'll put up with it.
The first, round of jog 60 seconds walk 90 seconds wasn't bad. The second round of jog 60 seconds and walk 90 seconds wasn't bad. The third was my downfall. I'm sure you're disappointed to hear how quickly my body surrendered but it's the truth. After struggling through another round I just plain stopped. I'm sure you're disappointed and probably yelling "quitter" at the computer screen which you are totally justified in doing. However, I came to this conclusion. I hate running. I've always hated running. I'm slow. It hurts. I can't breathe. However, I really want to be a runner. So I've made myself a compromise. For now I'm going to shelf the program and continue to workout on the treadmill, elliptical and hopefully Zumba. Once I'm actually in better shape then I'll attempt to resume the program. I know that if I keep trying like this it's just gonna make me miserable and further my intense hatred of running. So for now I'll just be a WALKER.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I did this too!! I stopped after the 3rd set. Does that make you feel better? That's why I only did a mile. But, now, I have my baseline and I know I should always be able to do, at least, a mile!! The program's about making you stronger slowly....just keep doing it until you can make it past the 3rd set...or, that's what I'm doing at least. :)

    I applaud your efforts!!! You're doing SOMETHING and that is fine!!! Once you get bored with it, find your next something and just keep moving in the right direction. :)

    I had my "off" day yesterday. Pizza at lunch...and I skipped the bread at Johnny Carino's last night. It was supposed to be one "off meal" but that's okay and I forgive myself and I patted myself on the back already b/c I didn't eat the donuts someone brought in. :)

    If most of our changes are positive, a few small negatives can't change our path to something great.

    ReplyDelete

Workout